Merlin Bird ID helps you identify birds with ease. You’ll get personalized results of birds to expect based on the time of year and your location or your choice of regions around the world, including a digital field guide with more than 80,000 photos and sounds, plus maps, and ID tips! Merlin is the most fully featured and global bird app available, and the only one enabling both sound and photo identification powered by AI.
Merlin offers four fun ways to identify birds. Get guided bird ID assistance by answering a few simple questions and, like magic, Merlin will reveal a list of birds that match your description. If you have a photo of a bird that you can’t ID, tap “Photo ID” to identify your bird. Do you hear a bird that you don’t recognize or can’t see? Tap “Sound ID” to record the bird you are hearing and Merlin will show you which species are most likely, in real time! Or you can pick “Explore Birds” and Merlin will show you all the birds most likely to be around you on that day.
Merlin is free, fun, and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird you can find. The answers are waiting for you with this free ID app and field guide from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE MERLIN
• Merlin is for everyone! Merlin was created for bird watchers, nature lovers, and anyone who is curious about birds.
• Easily identify the birds you see or hear and build your birding skills.
• Customized to your backyard or wherever you travel so you’ll never be without a bird guide.
• Intelligent results. Merlin shows the birds near you that match your description, photo, or sound recording. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities!
• Merlin is the only app that uses advanced AI technology to help you identify a bird in a photo or a sound recording.
• Expert ID tips, range maps, photos, and sounds help you learn even more about the birds you spot.
• Merlin lets you build a life list! Save the birds you identify to keep track of the birds you’ve seen.
• Merlin is completely free!
• Choose bird packs that contain photos, songs, and calls, and identification help for many regions around the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, South Africa, Kenya, Northern Africa, the Middle East, Asia, India, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and more. New regions are added every month.
• More than 50,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including more than 30,000 songs and calls curated by the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Identification tips in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hebrew, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, depending on the range of the species.
• Powered by eBird and the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings, photos, and sounds from bird watchers across the world.
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds. Our nonprofit mission to improve the understanding and protection of birds and nature is made possible by the generosity of Cornell Lab members, supporters, and citizen-science contributors.
ABOUT PHOTO ID
Powered by Visipedia, Merlin Photo ID uses computer vision and deep learning technology to identify birds in photos. Merlin learns to recognize bird species based on training sets of millions of photos and sounds from birders at eBird.org. When using Photo ID, enter the date and location where you took the photo; those clues improve Merlin’s accuracy by helping it focus on the species you most likely encountered there.