What causes the familiar monthly cycle of lunar phases? What’s a waning gibbous or a waxing crescent moon? Why does the moon appear tilted at different angles depending on whether you’re in New York or Sydney? What does the moon look like at different times from different places on Earth? Try LUNA to find out.
• Animated illustrations describe and help you learn the lunar phases
• Experiment for yourself by changing temporal and spatial parameters
• Choose any time in the lunar cycle and any time of year
• Move the earth and moon around the sun to see the effect on the lunar phases
• Interactively change the time of day to watch the moon rise and set
• Alter latitude and longitude to observe how the moon seen from earth changes
• Learn facts about lunar missions past, present and future
• Read illustrated explanations about a multitude of lunar properties
• Fun and educational for all ages!
LUNA provides a close approximation to the correct lunar phase and position at any given time and place on Earth. It estimates what the moon will look like. It is not meant to be a precise lunar phase calendar (you will find many other free apps for that functionality). LUNA is much more. It will help you to develop and increase your understanding of lunar phases, of why the moon can appear “upside down” in another part of the world, or tilted another way at different times of day or night. LUNA also lets you discover a number of interesting facts about the moon and about past and future missions to the moon. If you are interested in astronomy and want to try a fascinating app which may give you more insight into the moon, try LUNA. Experiment, observe and learn!