Here’s an infinite-runner game with an insanely unique, crazy-cool feathery hero: the kākāpō. It’s a parrot so large that it can’t fly, with a mating call so deep that it rumbles the floor, and a tendency to freeze like a parrot-shaped rock when it senses danger. It’s the only bird left on earth from a whole branch of the tree of life (its distant cousin: the dodo).
Plenty of dangers confront these “owl-parrots” in the wild … so many, in fact, that the 200-odd remaining kākāpō are on their own protected island in New Zealand.
Your mission in Kākāpō Run: get the kākāpō to safety by crossing a danger-ridden New Zealand to Sanctuary Island. Hungry stoats are just one of the challenges that face you as you jump, dodge and slide through forests, shorelines and cities.
Don't forget: catch the feathers and score extra points!
Along the way, learn about the incredible kākāpō and how they’re being brought back from the edge of extinction.
‘Kākāpō Run’ is created by On the Edge Conservation. We’re working with indigenous communities and conservation groups in New Zealand to help save the kākāpō in real life. By playing the game you’re getting involved in the effort to protect one of the world’s most unique birds, and restore their native habitat.
On behalf of all kākāpō, Thank You for playing and helping with their survival.
Ready to run? Let’s play! Swipe down to slide under objects, swipe left to change lanes and swipe up to jump.
* Did you die before completing a level? Now you can answer a quiz question and get a continue as a reward.
* New kākāpō facts
* Updated info points.
* Select your favourite kākāpō sticker to add to your social post.
Other features to look out for:
* No ads, no in-app purchases
* Totally free
* The unique sounds of real kākāpō, from the unusual mating ‘boom’ to squarks
* Four environments to traverse, inspired by New Zealand's unique and varied landscape. From dense forests to idyllic coastlines, and cities crammed with traffic terror.
* Oncoming obstacles from predators to rolling rocks. Jump, Dodge and Swipe to avoid them!
* Stay up to date on news about threatened species. Click one of the blue radio towers on the Globe View
Support the mission by shouting out about #SaveTheKakapo!